- Children who lack social and emotional skills cannot succeed in school
- 10% of all kindergarten children exhibit problematic behavior
- Children who enter school lacking social and emotional competence are less likely to be
successful by the end of the first grade (US Dept. of Education 2002)
- Ways to improve:
- Ensure quality early childhood programs
- Promote family economic security
- Deliver services aimed at socio-emotional domain
Children With Special Needs
- Sensory integration dysfunction – Sensory integration is a neurobiological process in which the brain analyzes, interprets, and acts on sensory stimulation taken in from the environment (Ayres 2005; Hatch-Rasmussen 1995).
- Tactile sensation – Tactile sensation is felt and processed by the nerves in the skin and experienced in the brain as touch, temperature, pleasure, pain and pressure.